[Editor's note: Melody wrote this post in January 2021.] Update: Well, who knew? I didn't. Crossing the Bar--while trying to find a good version of the Kontakion for the Departed, or, Give Rest, O Christ (I've referred to this in my post about my edited book, Never Enough Singing being made into an open access online book), I ran across a setting of Crossing the Bar by the British musician, Sir Hubert Parry who lived from 1848-1918. He wrote a lot of choral music and quite a bit of it is in various English hymnals; Crossing the Bar was included in Hymns Ancient and Modern (Angela Thirkell, see my post Angela Thirkell as Hymnologist , calls it "our" hymn-book, and says of it, "and Hymns Ancient and Modern were used, from a reasonable-sized book, without the additions that have more than all the demerits of the older hymns and none of their warm familiarity") in 1868, being called Sunset and Evening Star (choir of Jesus College Cambridge singing). La...
Comments
Post a Comment