Heaven Playlist 9, and complete Playlist

[Editor's note: This is the last in the series of Melody's Heaven Playlists. Melody died on 13 December 2021. Her complete playlist, including many songs she did not get a chance to write about can be found at the bottom of this post. She chose That Glad Reunion Day for her memorial service and to remain as the header image for this blog.]

Heaven Playlist 9—Hillary Scott and friends

It was our lucky day when Lady A (formerly known as Lady Antebellum), the hugely popular country trio, took a hiatus and worked on their own projects. From Hillary Scott, the woman in the trio, came a wonderful CD of Christian songs. The online site of the Tennessean published a story titled, “Hillary Scott channels grief into gospel,” writing that she suffered a miscarriage and her sadness led her to her roots in Christianity. She had already started a CD with her family and had gotten the incomparable bluegrass artist and producer Ricky Skaggs to produce and sing on the CD. Several have some connection for me with my Heaven Playlist and I’ve added them and want to write a bit about these, plus a couple of other songs where I have chosen Ricky Skaggs versions.

In my post Heaven Playlist 1, I wrote that I liked “the down-home effect of a normal family singing together; though how awesome would it be for normal to mean Ricky Skaggs plays mandolin and other strings with you?” Well, in this case, you have the Scott family singing together in Ain’t No Grave. Confusingly, there are a couple of songs with the same title, Ain’t No Grave (Gonna Hold Me Down). One was written in the 1920s by Claude Ely and famously recorded by Johnny Cash, for which he received a Grammy award. This version we hear on Hillary’s CD is written by the contemporary Christian musician, David Crowder, but with a different start that is completely down-homey. Another anthemic version is from Bethel Music, the current darling of Christian worship music, though nothing like much of the syrupy music sung in a lot of evangelical churches today (lead singer on this version is Molly Skaggs, Ricky’s daughter). The Crowder version, sung by the Scotts, has all the same down-home feel as the Skaggs family CD, and is it any wonder as Ricky Skaggs produced and sings and plays on Hillary Scott’s CD.

The second song I’ve selected from Hillary Scott’s CD is Sheltered in the Arms. I didn’t used to like this song; it was a “special” sung by a woman at the church where I grew up and I just didn’t like it. Then I heard the deep country twang of Linda Davis, Hillary Scott’s mom, sing it (she sings it on this CD) and it changed for me. I think this provides us a lesson—before we make up our mind about a song, perhaps we should listen to several versions (now that we so often can do so simply by using YouTube or some music app). Anyway, Sheltered in the Arms, (another lesson, lyrics on lyric websites are often wrong, sometimes nonsensical; one website I saw had “Soon I shall feel the cold from heaven’s portals.” Well, that certainly sounds welcoming?!).

Soon I shall hear the call from heaven's portals
‘Come home my child, it's the last mile you must trod’
I'll fall asleep and wake in God's sweet heaven
For I'm sheltered safe in the arms of God.

I’m not so sure about the falling asleep part, but as “Jesus walks beside me,” why would I mind trodding my last mile.

The last song I want to include from Hillary’s CD (I recommend the entire CD, but these three are the ones that fit my Heaven Playlist) is called Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus) which I really love. This song was written by Chris Rice, another contemporary Christian artist, and sung by Hillary on this CD. I read a fabulous comment in a YouTube comment section where the commenter says not to put “Rest in Peace” on her tombstone, but rather, “Sing to Jesus.” If I was having a grave marker, I’d follow this directive! (It’s a natural burial for me, so no tomb markers are allowed.) However, I will already be laughing on Glory’s side, so it won’t matter to me!

And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace,
and laugh on Glory's side,
and Fly to Jesus and live!

And it appears that this time it is really true, soon I’ll fly to Jesus and SING! I’ve written in other posts about the rare blood cancer that has been a part of my life for forty years. Well, now it is really doing it to me and I will be entering hospice care soon; getting out of the hospital and eating really, really good food plays a large part in this, but seeing all of my children was a huge pick-me-up so now all this is more unclear. Possibly I am really having the typical “rally” a dying person has, or possibly I really am doing enough better to not enter hospice quite yet.

[Editor's note: Melody enjoyed a great few weeks with her children, and continued eating "really, really good food" until she entered hospice three weeks after writing this post.]


TitleBlog PostArtist
Ain’t no grave9Hillary Scott
Blessed assuranceRicky Skaggs
EcstacyChelsea Moon
Glory boundWailin Jennys
GlorylandRalph Stanley
Go rest high on the mountainVince Gill
How beautiful heaven must be6George Jones
I feel like traveling onLoretta Lynn
I’ll fly away4Joey
O come, angel bandJohnny Cash
Outskirts of heaven5Craig Campbell
Over in the gloryland Ralph Stanley
Sheltered in the arms of god9Hillary Scott
Uncloudy dayWillie Nelson
Untitled hymn (Come to Jesus)9Hillary Scott
When I get where I’m going1Brad Paisley
When I wake up to sleep no moreTim Surrett
When the roll is calledJohnny Cash
When we all get to heaven1Brad Paisley
Won’t it be wonderful there1Ricky Skagss
Big house4Audio A
Carry me homeReliques
Dancing with the angelsMonk and Neagle
Everything to meAvalon
Finally homeMercy Me
HeavensongPhil Wickham
I can only imagine5Mercy Me
Show me you gloryThird Day
Soon and very soonAndrae Crouch
Sound of the saintsAudio A
The love of godReliques
Thou lovely source of trueThird Day
What wondrous loveJars of Clay
You hold me nowSevenglory
Ein deutches reqJohn Rutter
Heaven havenPolyphony
In paradisumRoyal Shakespeare
In paradisum - JenkinsCatrin Finch
In paradisum - Faure4Philip Ledger
Kontakion; Give Rest, O ChristMartin Neary
Never weatherbeaten sailStile Antico
Ockeghem requiemHilliard Ensemble
Blessed city. Heavenly Salem5Worcester
Crossing the Bar - Parry8Jesus College Cambridge
I heard the voice of Jesus say8Vaughan Williams Hymnal
Jesus lover of my soul8St Michaels
Lights abode8Wells Cathedral Choir
My soul there is a country8Belfast Cathedral Choir
The god of Abraham praise8Norwich Choir
The king of love8Koine; David Skinner; Choir of Kings School
All hail the power2Waterson:Carthy
Gloryland, bright gloryland2Waterson:Carthy
Good old wayWatersons
How tedious and tasteless the hours2Watersons
I’ll meet you in the morning3Heidi Talbot
In the old churchyard3Offa Rex
O When Will I See Jesus3Watersons
Poor wayfaring strangerEliza Carthy/Norma Waterson
Sleep on Beloved3Lady Maisery, Waterson:Carthy
Stars in my crown2Waterson:Carthy
Hard timesJames Taylor
Blessed redeemerCasting Crowns
Come thou fountChris Rice
Everybody will be happyDallas Christian
Give me JesusF Ortega
I love to tell the storyHankey; Apostle
I stand amazed in the presence
I will praise him stillF Ortega
Invitation. Hark I hear7Anon 4
Jerusalem my happy homeSchola Cantorum; Mathew Glandorf
Jerusalem the goldenKoine; David Skinner
Jesus savior pilot meBifrost Arts; Robbie Seay Band
Just over in the gloryland 7
Love that will not let me go
Mercy seat7Anon 4
My Jesus I love theeRed Mountain Church; Amy Grant
O love that will not let me go?Chris Rice
O Sing to me of heavenGlass Mountain, Lonesome Sisters, Voci de Sorelle
O the deep deep love6Blackthorn Project; Enfield
O the delightsRed Mountain Church
On Jordan’s stormy banksWalnut Grove
Pearly gates Red Mountain Church
Praise the lord who reignsLeigh Nash
Resignation. My shepherd7Anon 4
Sawyers exit. How brightYoder
Streams of living waterRed Mountain Church
Sweet by and by7Anon 4
The shining shore7Anon 4
There is a happy land Peggy Duncan
There is a land of pure delight.6Paul Hillier; Red Mountain
We'll understand it betterG M Farley
What a day that will beDallas Christian
When all thy merciesF Ortega
Counting the daysSeawind
Crossing the Bar--Arbo4False Lights
HeavenLos Lonely Boys
Into the WestNoteworthy
Jesus will take me home6Leon Russell
People get ready1Chambers Bros
The long day is overNorah Jones
Way over yonder4Carole King
Where the streets have no name U2
Gloryland way5Chuck Wagon Gang
Heavenly aeroplane2Watersons
Living by faith
That glad reunion dayBlackwood Bros
Bound for CanaanWestern MA
I want to go to heavenUnited Sacred Harp
I’m on my journey homeUnited Sacred Harp; Western MA
O how happiness (New concord)  Gloriea de Cantores
Religion is a fortuneAlabama SH
The better landUnited Sacred Harp
We'll soon be thereSacred Harp Singers
Green PasturesEmmylou & Ricky
I Feel Like I'm on my Journey Home
If heaven
I'm on my Journey Home
Pleading Saviour
Shall We Gather at the River
Where the soul of man
Where We'll Never Grow Old
Windows of thy grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joining Persephone Readathon!

Melody Layton McMahon, December 25, 1957 to December 13, 2021