Intute and Scholarly Sustainability

A few days ago, Lorcan Dempsey posted about the decision of JISC to stop funding Intute. I don't regularly use Intute myself, but now that I have looked at it again, I wish I thought of it more often! I have never been quite sure what I think about "subject gateways" to the web. I maintained a Reference Resources page at a Jesuit college for many years and we have a few things on our website here at CTU (but haven't developed any kind of massive lists of resources--instead usually pointing our students to the Wabash guide and a couple of other selected resources). I've always been intrigued by the ATSRW project of ATLA; not a subject gateway, it is designed to get bib records for websites into the catalog. I thought this might be a better way to curate the web, but it hasn't gathered huge momentum. All this to say, the FAQ at the Intute website is really a mini-primer on scholarly sustainability--it outlines some of the funding problems they have and various routes they have (and are) considering to continue its viability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joining Persephone Readathon!

Heaven Playlist 9, and complete Playlist

Melody Layton McMahon, December 25, 1957 to December 13, 2021